Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Think Outside the Box: Scanography

not so long ago I bought a new A3 printer with scanner for my studies so I be able to print plans on A3 without going out from my apartment.
today I set it and check it and It prints very well
the next step was to check the scanner, it more practical then scanning with camera, you don't have to edit it after you take the photo of the scanned object. the printer did a quite good hob at scanning on of my sketches.
and then I thought that principally it doing the same job as a camera that aimed straight to the object.
could it work as a camera? could it be an artistic tool.
soon I went on the internet and I found my answer very fast.

well, there is a technique that called Scanography
you can create creative photos with scanner, so I decided to try it myself
I found some objects and placed them on the scanner surface.

Wp 20140827 003 by FX-1988

the first one was taken during the daytime
as you can see the background is burned
Scan 4 by FX-1988

on the internet I saw that most of the photos taken with this method had a black background
I guess that because my apartment was lighten by the day light Ive got the burned background.
also I noticed that the scanner creates it own light so I decided to wayt to the sun go down.
when the evening come down I tried again, I turn off all the lights in my apartment and make a try.

Scan 5 by FX-1988

and it work
so I make some more tries

Scan 6 by FX-1988

Scan 8 by FX-1988

it not perfect, there is some downfalls
like, the depth of filed of the scanner is very sallow, only the surface area is focused
also you have to clean the surface after each scan or change in the composition.

it not a camera, it very limited in abilities.
but it giving you another point of view on thing you can do. it give you the ability to create a flatted scene
like creating a painting or a composition of something creative.
try to imagine a scene and create it with objects you have near you.

I hope it was interesting and I hope it gave you another prospective on the things you can do and how to create art in new way.

It can be interesting if you try it too
If you do post a link here and tell others about this technique

No comments:

Post a Comment